Global synthetic paper market size was estimated at 130.8 kilo tons in 2015, as per Global Market Insights, Inc. Stringent environment protection regulations for sustainability will drive global synthetic paper market size as an alternative to wood pulp.
Packaging & labeling industry expansion and the need to have sustainable and environment friendly paper solution will play an important role in instigating demand. Biaxially Oriented Polypropylene (BOPP) synthetic paper market segment was the largest, with consumption of over 77 kilo tons in 2015. Easy coating, laminating, and printing process coupled with cost benefits were key influencing factors.
Global non-label synthetic paper market share is projected to exceed 127 kilo tons up to 2023. Non label applications were the most preferable owing to longer life span and are majorly used in making banners, maps, and graphics.
Europe high density polyethylene (HDPE) synthetic paper industry was close to USD 26 Million in 2015 and is predicted to grow at rapid pace with over 6.3% CAGR up to 2023.
Low crude oil prices over the last two years have resulted in correction of synthetic paper market price. This trend may witness a slight upswing in industry costing from 2017 with expected recovery in crude oil prices. Being key feedstock, HDPE and polypropylene (PP) costs play a significant role in deciding industry profitability.
Key insights from the report include:
• Global synthetic paper market size is projected to register 209.7 kilo tons by 2023, with an estimated gains at 6.1%.
• Label market growth is estimated to be the highest, with gains at 6.3% up to 2023 and predicted to exceed 80 kilo tons. Important uses include stack & shrink labels, pressure sensitive, in-mold and wraparound labels.
• HDPE product revenue exceeded USD 87 Million in 2015 with 7% CAGR forecast up to 2023.
• APAC, led by China synthetic paper market size, was the dominant regional industry and accounted for more than 37% of the total demand in 2015. BOPP demand was the highest in APAC and registered close to USD 55 Million in 2015.
• Low manufacturing cost in India and China may attract new investment in the region.
• North America, influenced by U.S. industry growth and regulatory compliance, registered over USD 55 Million in 2015 North America label market is predicted to witness significant growth at 7.0% in revenue terms up to 2023 due to strong application scope in pharmaceutical and food & beverages packaging.
• Synthetic paper market share is highly consolidated with key MNCs holding large market share and catering to over 75% of the total demand. Yopu Corporation, PPG Industries, Arjobex, and DuPont were among the leading MNCs. Joint Venture and product portfolio expansion are among the key growth strategies.
• Other industry participants include Hop Industries, American Profol, Taghleef Industries, Neenah Paper, and Nan Ya Plastics.